Sunday, December 28, 2008

Giftering

My mother bought me a Tony Hawk hoodie for Christmas.

She left the tag on, which she never does, and I take this to mean she is either becoming absolutely forgetful or that she wanted somehow to maintain her pride after only buying me one gift.

No matter the cultural signifiers. Although it's my size, it doesn't fit well. Perhaps I can find it a new home.

*

I had been telling anyone who listened that all I wanted was a Viking drinking horn. I don't know why this got into my head, but that's what I wanted.

It's only now that I got online to look them up. Although there are cheap models available, what's interesting is that there are craftsmen who specialize in making them, and there seems to be a whole collector's market out there willing to pay hundreds for elaborate pieces. There are contests, judges, organizations!

Maybe I should start crafting them myself.

And while on the topic, my ale continues to ferment in the carboy, and we're on day four of a fourteen day fermentation period. After that, the ale gets transferred to bottles for another two weeks, and then the tasting party!

I'm not sure how it will turn out. My sense is that the foaming brown substance bubbling away in the carboy is going to be delicious, and will warm up a late winter's day.

*

Jess bought me the Amy Sedaris book I Like You, which I find inexplicably funny and I laugh at it until my sides hurt. Not much makes me laugh like that. Billy bought me a flannel shirt with a hood sewn in. It has already become my comfort shirt.

2 comments:

  1. Hey can I borrow that book when you're done? I didn't know she wrote books... guess I missed out. Strangers with Candy was pretty funny back in the day.

    I also SWEAR I met her when I was working at Carvel on the NY thruway. She came up and ordered a cone. It HAD to be her. But I couldn't ask because all I knew her from was Strangers with Candy and I thought she might be insulted... she also looks a lot better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangers with Candy was amazing. I want to rent it on dvd so Jess can see. And yes, you can borrow it.

    I heard she's prettier in real life. I, too, think that was her. Just because it makes a better story. Now you need to tell everyone she tried to hit on you.

    ReplyDelete