Thursday, January 22, 2009

On Catalogues

Blogger seems to occasionally eat my comments, or make it hard for me to post them, so I want to reply to a few here.

As for the glasses, Walmart is considered a deal, but the eyeglass bloggers, and they do exist, insist on better deals if you use the internet. Since I already have a script, I'm going to give it a try once I get my tax refund.

Mikey asked about the name of the Springsteen cd alluded to in a previous post. It was Devils and Dust. And while you're at it, if you want a serious challenge, how about the back catalogue of The Fall and Guided by Voices?

Or, the ultimate challenge . . . nah, I can't even say it . . . it's too much . . . .

As far as the food contest, I'm sure the podcasts will clear that all up. I haven't heard back, even though I've written twice. I am willing to practice.

I remember seeing a surprisingly compelling documentary on Kobayashi in which he explains that the great challenge of his sport is to bring yourself almost to the point of death. I need that 3000 bucks. I will do it.

And as for the nightclub, it is opening early next month. Details will follow: I tend not to name names if there's the slightest chance it will impact my job. That's just for the record.

*

Today, the Boss called us in and explained he was cutting all our hours. I am temporarily reduced to thirty-two a week, and this after resolving to find a weekend job. Billy, who often works sixty hours a week, and supports his girlfriend and, to a lesser extent, her daughter, was harder hit by the news that he is limited to just over forty. All day, he looked pale.

*

I wore my ipod in the W today, carefully kept safe under my sweatshirt. It was transformative.

There is a categorical difference between music that you tolerate and music that you care about. The gulf is wide.

*

Bubbs is the smaller of the two cats, and the one who most insists on being close to me when I write. I got home late so I haven't turned to the novel yet. But Bubbs is here, my notes are out, and I'm ready to begin.

4 comments:

  1. I recognize and respect the drive to compete and the attraction of 3000 lip smackin dollars, but I will not eat food that will exit my mouth so quickly as to miss my taste buds. I think to win this you have to stretch your stomach though over a period before the contest, otherwise you will hurt yourself/run out of room fast. If you starve yourself, you'll shrink it and eat less...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thoroughly reseached the techniques used by top competitive eaters. The 3000 is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should spend the $3000 on eating one hot dog every day for the next 9 years. The give and take of the universe and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devils and Dust is a done deal. But when you mention those other things are you talking about Springsteen albums (of which I find no mention) or other bands? If bands, GBV discography is happening. But "The Fall" is such a common phrase I'm not getting good results. Maybe specific album titles would work better for that...

    ReplyDelete