Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Gnossiennes 1. Lent

Billy sang to me: "What happens when your need to survive kills the thing you love?"

Bruce Springsteen. Off an album I don't have. I said, "That's good. Which one is that?"

He told me and offered to lend it to me. He got it from his car, but it was so horribly scratched that I had to refuse the loan.

He looked sad.

"Don't give up on your dreams, Goo Goo."

"Fuck my dreams," I told him. "All they ever made me is . . ."

"Broke?"

"Yeah, broke. No more dreams. I just have to be a . . . "

"A worker."

"Yeah, a worker," I said.

"Nothing wrong with that."

"Yep. Nothing wrong with that."

"Fuck it, Goo Goo. I've got to get out of this place. It's eating me up. I want to learn shit, but I'm too busy to learn the new stuff that'll get me out of here. There's no fucking way fucking out."

"We should fight on," I said.

"Yeah. Let's fight on."

*

The Boss started violently vomiting, so he took the truck and drove home. I finally had the ambition to bring my ipod in. I hooked it up in the truck during my runs. It made the driving easier. I didn't want to listen to the filler about Obama, of whom there isn't much to say yet, the most notable part of inauguration being, I'm told, Aretha Franklin's hat.

*

I worked late and stopped at my mother's house to pick up a few things. I searched online, and sure enough, there are not only sites about buying cheap prescription glasses online, but blogs about buying them as well and I already feel relieved and well informed. I'm going to use my tax refund to get a new pair, finally pay off the old ones, and then, with whatever is left, put money into the house.

I'm also looking for a weekend job. I've worked seven day weeks before, and it eventually wore me down. But I'm also pretty tolerant of a high work load. I've already applied to a weekend driver position and as the bouncer at a Worcester area club that is opening up at the end of the month. I'd rather do the driving -- night hours will kill both my attempt again at a writing career, my longass Mondays, and my energy reserves. But it might open doors. I keep knocking.

Once, people believed in vocations, in callings. And you only had to hear it.

I've heard it. But I suspect it was just ghosts and gremlins, doing their mischief. There are all sorts of nightsounds that can deceive you into thinking there are monsters under the bed.

*

I'm trying to enter a WBCN eating competition. I've sent an email to the station and am waiting to hear more. Once again, expect updates and insights as I learn more.

3 comments:

  1. I once spent two weeks trying to find cheap replacement glasses after getting screwed by Pearl Vision. I finally was able to save my fairly new but awfully designed pair with the kind (I might add FREE) assistance of a nice lady at Walmart's vision center thing.

    She didn't have to, and they made no money for doing it, even lost some money from helping me when she could have helped a paying customer and soaked an insurance company. But she found a random, correct screw and replaced and sealed it, fixing the design flaw. I've been using them for two years with no problem.

    If you have a problem with Walmart, make sure its the CEO's you're bitching about, because that one lady saved me a bunch of money and none of it it went to the corporation. Just being a good person for someone who couldn't afford new frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dougie Dougie Dougie! Which club? Worcester is my "home town" in this state, so to speak... do you know the location? Depending on the area, if you work there weekends, I might keep you company. Worcester is closer to me than Boston, and there's only so many nights you can sleep in your car out there, so I'd probably end up going home at a reasonable hour, which would make the wife happy! And if it's day hours maybe we can sneak in to the Clark gym and either use the mats or play racquetball. See? It all works!

    I didn't hear about the eating contest today. Was it TnR? I'll have to grab the podcasts. I actually sent them an email today with some infomercials featuring the ShamWOW guy. I called in a while back about it and they've brought it up a few times, so I'm trying to feed the fire.

    If you go up against Adolfo I'm sure you can beat him if speed is a factor. He may be a huge fat kid, but it's not an act, he is REALLY dumb. I don't think he has any concept of pacing. Then again, some of the TARDs on the message board are very large as well, AND smart... so it depends on your other competition... good luck!

    What Springsteen album was it? I used to pride myself on being able to find almost any CD. If I can download it you can replace Billy's by burning him a copy.

    word of the day: fetromba

    ReplyDelete