Tuesday, January 20, 2009

In Which Billy Rips His Crotch


Billy ripped the crotch of his jeans while loading this unit on to my truck. By the end of the day, he had fixed the rip with three large pieces of duct tape. Even then, the slack in the material caused his pants to continually threaten to fall down.
*
I was busy today at work and had to think more about HVAC than novel writing. But I did get to deliver a tiny drain plug to my mother's street and I used the opportunity to drop off her roasting pan. I also stumbled across a cd in the garage that I've been trying to find for months, Black Francis's Bluefinger, one of my favorite sets of driving music.
The disc is a collection of songs that center around the life and death of Herman Brood, the Dutch musician and painter. I enjoy Francis' mix of surreal imagery with heartfelt sorrow. Such is, after all, how I see the world at times, and the crunchy but clear guitar tones only serve to make the wheels spin with teeth-clenching joy. We'll get there yet, sailors.
*
After dropping off the pan, my mother told me she'd broken a tooth.
"But I don't have dental insurance so I can't do anything about it."
"Okay, Mom. See you next Monday," I said with false cheerfulness.
I get word of a dire incident upon every visit. There are limits to my means, both psychic and financial. Sometimes you just have to board the ship and set sail.
Off into the snow white seas! Crank the tunes, take a sip of coffee mixed with white chocolate cocoa, and mix up what blurs and what gets seen.
And, if by the end of the day I didn't want to be sitting at a bar in Berlin, twenty years ago, then for all I know I was nowhere.

2 comments:

  1. 20 years ago in Berlin??? You're still 10 months away from the wall coming down... I think I'd hold off just a little longer

    Next time Billy should look for one of those big cardboard box staplers. That would fix his pants right up!

    word verification is "r hipo" .... been some good ones lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. West Berlin before the wall came down. Wenders, Nick Cave, all that.

    Yeah, those word verification thingers can be interesting, and there have been a few I've thought to record but was too lazy. It is a random element to fit in with the other, occasional random element to make them feel less lonely.

    I don't want to think of me, or anyone, including Billy, taking a stapler to his crotch. Not at this hour. Maybe not even by the light of day.

    ReplyDelete