Sunday, January 25, 2009

In Brief


I have to take Bubbs in to get spayed tomorrow. There was a brief time a few years ago when I took over all my mother's household expenses and paid for surgeries for her cats, but they were effectively her cats. This is the first time I've taken in a cat I consider my own.

Needless to say, there is a different emotional resonance. It's been on my mind. I love that cat, and worry about the effects. It is, of course, a necessity: against our knowledge we picked up a male and a female and we don't want incest babies climbing up the shades.

*

It's ten o'clock and I'm finally settling in. I vowed to write today, and now is my only chance, so I'm making this short.

*

I also didn't get to the store in time to properly cook tonight, so I'm marinating my meat for the week overnight. I'm marinading my pork with lime, chili oil, vinegar, and spices. I'm marinating my chicken in paprika, brown sugar, fish sauce, and, again, lime. They'll be ready to cook tomorrow night.

While keeping an eye on the boy, I cooked up some jalapeno cornbread, based loosely on the recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook. It made me want to bake bread more. I found a bread baking book that noted how cumin is an underused spice in breadmaking, so I added about a teaspoon to the mix. I'm not sure if it added anything noticeable, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I ate the cornbread with hot pepper jelly. The jalapenos, after cooking, turned very mellow and added just the slightest kick, but with a nice, solid, crunchy texture. I used a coarse ground cornmeal, but in the future will food process it or buy a finer grind -- Jess likes the crunchiness but I find it a distraction.

That's it: applied to two more jobs, looked after the Dufflebag, and listened to three albums from The Hold Steady, back to back.

3 comments:

  1. Of course you listened to them back to back... because they are AWESOME!

    I started with "Boys and Girls in America" and I think that's still my fav. Then I went back to the first 2 before going to the most recent. CSI was a fan of the earlier ones which I think are less conventional than later tracks. But I'm a verse/chorus type of guy so I'll rock out to the later albums more frequently. But then there are many times where I'll just play the discography straight through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to try that corn scone recipe, man. Put'er up!

    Now that you're full bore into this multi-day prep thing, I think its time for you to corn some beef. Look for brisket on sale, cheap flat cut, not point. Its the consistency of shoe leather to start with, but you'll take care of that over a couple of weeks of brining. It take a couple of weeks to do it right, but its gooooooood. The closest beef gets to bacon (if it gets pastrami-ed and fried up). Best way to find out why God invented cabbage and potatoes.

    Maybe after your Valhalla geld and ale distribution, we can have a NYC Gaelic festival on Paddy's day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to corn beef and the Hold Steady (of whom I'll blog today).

    ReplyDelete