Thursday, January 29, 2009

Goo Goo Gets the Axe

Billy was outside, shoveling the stairs. I had just gotten the official word.

"Another soldier down, Bubbs. They shitcaned me."

He laughed at first, but then looked at my face, and knew I wasn't joking.

He threw the snow shovel against the stairs. "What the fuck!" he yelled.

Then he took me in his bear arms and we wept as brothers.

*

Throughout the day, the bad news trickled in. There were additional layoffs in Portsmouth, Manchester, and the other branches. People who'd been with the company for years were given the axe. Many had their hours dropped to part-time, including Eddy. He's in his fifties and now has to live off of working thirty-two hours a week. Same time last year he was easily hitting sixty per.

*

The Boss called me in. "I've never really done this before, and don't know what the fuck to do. So, I don't know, if you have any questions, call Donna."

"And that's it?"

The phone rang and he answered after giving me last week's paycheck. I punched out and drove home.

And that's it. The story of the W comes to a close.

*

Here's why I'm nervous. Obviously, I'm a position of uncertainty. I want to put my heart into the novel and into the job search and into the upkeep of the house, all without feeling like a burden to Jess. It's an awkward position. I'm glad I went through it, simply because the process is somewhat different than I imagined, and it's certainly different at this moment in my life. I underestimated the emotional reaction, which, when made official, almost had a physical impact, like a slap or a kick to the shins.

Five years ago? I would have probably been very excited to sit around reading all day and still get the government check. Now, there is the additional pressure of a home and a family. Now, I hear about other layoffs, and the fact that I'm not the only one is a cause for concern. I wish I was alone in all this. I wish I wasn't heading out there with hundreds of other hungry, ambitious, responsible, thoughtful people, all angling for car payments and mortgages and rice and pork tenderloin.

You know how it goes. If I write a book and it gets published and I end up teaching creative writing at a working class state school in middle Massachusetts, then I'll sit there in my hush puppies and think: thank goodness. This was all worth it. Thank goodness I went through it, so I could understand. Thank goodness for all those difficult events that shaped me and helped me realize at least a larger swath of the the human condition than might otherwise have been my lot.

But.

If I'm sitting down by the river, trying to fish for trout with a shoestring wrapped around my bunioned old toe, then maybe it will seem the beginning of the end.

And you think: well, that's not likely. And it isn't. But it's possible. And even if the chances are slim, they still have to be accounted for.

It's not as though new jobs are springing up. It's not as though FDR is chomping on his cigarette holder and smiling as the national intrafructure blossoms like a morning glory.

Angling for spins, positive and negative, is a sort of rude game we have to play under such circumstances.

What I'm most thankful for is this: it happens and I still have the fight in me. That never went away. I could write ten-thousand pages before the bells on the chuch strike midnight. I could wrestle the themes like Jaco and the Angel, all with the cat trying, inexplicably, to stick his asshole in my face. I could call on Muse or Machine and rest assured that at least one will answer. I have enough slight control over my own fate to state that, now and forever.

4 comments:

  1. That was a very emotional entry... at least I think so.

    Sometimes your writing sounds depressing to me but from knowing you in person I know it can't be all that bad and that I'm probably missing some larger literary reference or point or style. I think a lot that my lack of knowledge about writing styles and authors makes some of your stuff sound darker to me than it is.

    But losing a job is a fairly universal topic. That really sucks and of course I wish you the best in everything. Hopefully all the silver linings will combine to form gold coins (or other such alchemy).

    What I wanted to say about this particular entry though, is that it starts out in that dark place but by the end of it, especially in that last paragraph, I feel like we're on the other end of the spectrum. Not like, satisfied wish fullfillment, but like the end of a chapter/beginning of another.

    Damn I'm too wordy... the point is I was inspired by your resolve. I find you to be a pretty inspiring person in general. And if you can do that without trying I'm very much looking forward to your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to find that the genre I take as my own is what they used to call black comedy. In other words, bleak humor. I don't know what else to call it. And it's my genre because it has much to do both with how I see the world and what I enjoy about the world.

    I remember college teachers telling us that early comedies simply involved marriage. And there are some absolutely not funny, not even trying to be funny, comedies. But most, even with the marriages at the end, still involve witty verbal interplay, slapstick, parody, and other good stuff. And, I would add, even modern comedies end in some type of marriage: even if it's not too people it's some type of unified understand or some pleasant resolution. It never has to be perfect. In fact, we feel shortchanged if we feel we're being offered something that merely seems happy, because we'd like a truth in there, too, for the deeper happiness.

    In terms of writing, people are generally interested in drama and extremes of behavior or experience. There are lots of stories about the very rich and the very poor, and not so much about those in the middle. And there's a reason for this. Kings and jesters and fate. Many of the great characters either have everything or nothing.

    I think of how some people find Leonard Cohen's music to be depressing, but I mostly find it pretty. I like the feeling of being hungry and eating beans at the campfire. Doesn't mean I want to do it every night, but if I do it once, I'll probably write about it.

    I also think of how the famously dark author Franz Kafza used to read excerpts from his works to his friends and couldn't continue, he was laughing so hard.

    So I'll take bleakness, but not depression -- I don't think I ever want to write something that will sour anyone on life. I suppose people who do this well turn difficult circumstances into something poetic. It makes sweeping that much more interesting if you're doing it for some transcendent reason: be it for God or literature or to clear the ancient dust off the lost gold.

    Anyway -- thanks so much for your response and I appreciate its honesty. Wordy is fine by me. It's nice to know there are still thoughts that don't fit easily into an emoticon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at the risk of sounding like some bad leadership styles poster, there's a way of reflecting a situational body blow rather than absorbing it, that does your own self-esteem justice and it sounds like you have that.

    There was an old townie in Ann Arbor named Shaky Jake who used to stand on the side walk and sing incoherently and beat the crap out of an old acoustic guitar. One morning as I passed him on the way to work I said good morning, he spluttered out "ya gotta get up early and keep movin..." I remember that periodically when I start spinning my wheels or I hit a brick wall. fuck it, man, just keep moving, don't stop or the inertia will drag you down by the gills.

    I just recently found out he died a couple of years ago:

    http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2007/09/shaky_jake_dies_sunday_at_the.html

    Its too bad, he was a certifiably weird dood, but he was more focused than most people I've ever known...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll it's eight a.m. and here I am, bearing out the wisdom of Shaky Jake I hope. Thanks for the story.

    I celebrated the end in riotous fashion, drinking a massive pint of camomile tea and watching The Extras, Season Two, with Jess and all three beasts.

    And now it's off to various offices of various sorts, but I'm bringing Portis to keep me company.

    And then, it's coffee and I'm going to work on the novel, which I already feel is going to be better because of the inevitably perspective shift.

    ReplyDelete