Saturday, January 31, 2009

Valhalla Awaits! Pass the Salt!

Got up early to prep the pork butt, rubbing it with a spice mix (cumin, chili powder, black pepper, sea salt, paprika) and an oil mix (olive and sesame). I heat the oven to 500 then drop it to 225 as soon as the cuts go in. I'm anticipating a decent crowd, so I bought two big butts.

Later on today, I'm going to make the sauce with onions, garlic, ketchup, tomato sauce, molasses, and white vinegar.

When I sent out an invite, I specified if now the law then the spirit of the event: stuff you make yourself, stuff made with love, be it craft beer or rabbit terrine or Beijing dumplings or venison or fresh baked bread or any of the other dishes I hear people are bringing. I love it when people buy into the spirit of the day. This gives you hope for something that feels exceptional, particularly when it's the result of a group of people all pulling in the same direction.

No matter what happens, I know we're all eating well.

Until I get a new job, I've written down a list of iron rules that I will live by until the job comes along. I keep these to myself, but I committed to them absolutely and they mostly involve my writing, reading, exercise, and eating. It's a list designed, as such limitations go, to liberate me from the inessentials and to maximize my opportunities.

Speaking of which, point well taken, Matty. Jess thanks you and says the same thing. It is sometimes hard in the moment to remember.

Here's to Schrimnir and Heidrum! Tonight we feast!

From Bullfinch's Mythology:

Valhalla is the great hall of Odin, wherein he feasts with his chosen heroes, all those who have fallen bravely in battle, for all who die a peaceful death are excluded. The flesh of the boar Schrimnir is served up to them, and is abundant for all. For although this boar is cooked every morning, be becomes whole again every night. For drink the heroes are supplied abundantly with mead from the she-goat Heidrum. When the heroes are not feasting they amuse themselves with fighting. Every day they ride out into the court or field and fight until they cut each other in pieces. This is their pastime; but when meal time comes they recover from their wounds and return to feast in Valhalla.

No comments:

Post a Comment