Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Morning Chopping, Rolling, Washing, and Dicing

All three of us made pork and leek dumplings for lunch today, and we sat around the kitchen table, folding them into neat little packets. I used my bamboo steamer for the first time. I went on the internet to figure out ways of making a stand for the steamer so that it doesn't touch the water, but came across videos of people simply placing the steamer in a wok. I used that method, since it was the simplest.

To keep the dumplings from sticking to the bamboo slats, first I tried laying down some cheese cloth. But some of the threads still stuck to the dumplings. Then, I placed down a bed of spring lettuce. That worked better and imparted a subtle, "green" taste to the dumplings. I think next time I'll use spinach to further amplify this effect.

The first batch was somewhat overcooked and the dough hardened. The second was just about perfect.

Jess's mom came over to try them and she now wants us to make them for the next family function. The Dufflebag was excited about mixing his own dumpling sauce. He seemed skeptical of the dumplings themselves because of the leeks. He claims to hate all vegetables. But they didn't seem to bother him and he ate his fill.

*

I finally found my mandolin blades, so I made the pickled radish threads again, since I had left over jars. Unfortunately, I ran out of rice vinegar so I had to top off the jars with the apple cider type. Difference in taste. Big difference in color. Now, the fermenting pickles look like kim chee.

*

I went on another writing spurt last night and managed another 2,000 words. before going to bed at one-thirty. My biggest writing day yet. Somewhat pleased with the results. I overwrite, and then remove the parts I don't care for when the draft is finished. So I'm not too concerned with the occasional bad section. Sometimes, this can allow you to better develop your characters, even if you ultimately discard the bridge sections, or in-between sections, or warm-up parts, or whatever you'd like to call them.

Jess has spent much of the last week painting the kitchen and it now looks more spacious. A big difference! She even changed the countertops so that I have more room to cook on. It was too crowded before -- but now I no longer have to balance as many knives and dishes on the microwave.

*

I've been sleeping fitfully, and have strange dreams. I think this has less to do with psychology than our mattress, which is practically at a slant now. Time to flip that sucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment