Friday, January 30, 2009

Day One

Day one on the dole.

I purposefully avoided the whole falling apart and growing a beard route last night and drank a mug of camomile tea over the half-pint of bourbon I really wanted. The technique worked. I got up early, applied for unemployment, set up direct deposit on the payments, and changed my official residence with the DMV. I have chore-work left: laundry and all that, but I wanted to make sure I wrote while my mind was fresh. I've been trying to write late in the night, after my mind has already been taxed by the day.

And this worked, too. I got out 2,000 effortless words all on one cup of coffee.

It turns out that they might pay for my teaching certification. I'm going to an orientation next week. It really does feel as though this was lucky for me. If I hadn't been forced out, who knows how long I would have pushed the broom.

*

I also wrote down a secret list my "iron rules" -- a list of positive commands that I will abide by during my job search. Nothing too extreme, but there's a power in writing such things down. It allows you to really sense your own limits. I only put down those that I knew for certain I could follow. The commands might not guarantee a job overnight, but they'll keep me from the gutter. That's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. "a mug of camomile tea over the half-pint of bourbon I really wanted. "

    I hereby christen that beverage as the "velvet brass knuckles"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny but yesterday I kept thinking...I wish Goo Goo could get his teaching certification. I know it's easy to get into teaching here but wasn't sure about Mass. I really do think you should be teaching and writing. I wish you luck in finding a job and hope you do not snatch the first one that comes along unless it fits. If I lit candles at church, I'd be doing so now.

    ReplyDelete