Monday, January 19, 2009

Sconestab

I added something like 3,500 words to my draft today, making it one of my most productive days. See what happens when work doesn't get in the way?

At one point, I had to lock the cats in the basement because they kept jumping on to the laptop. It made me feel bad, and, when I opened the cellar door, I thought they'd be pissed at me, but they seemed particularly happy to see me. Maybe they can distinguish between an Evil and a Good Goo Goo. The one who let them back upstairs was the good.

They are now here with me and the Slapster, arms tucked in the so-called "meatloaf" position.

Despite my back, I shovelled the driveway again to get rid of plow buildup. Our driveway is small, but there's been so much snowfall that I have to hand carry the shovelfulls over and toss them beyond the fence -- otherwise the buildup will obstruct the view. I took my time. I bent at the knees. The shovelling occured without incident.

I thought of making jalapeno scones today, but will keep the ball rolling and read. If I have time left over before I have to drive to the school tonight, I'll make a stab at the scones.

I also finally managed to sign up to the itunes store. I didn't do this to buy anything, but so that I could get the coverart for the cds I've ripped. It added an additional level of excitement to see the artwork uploaded, even if it is sometimes inaccurate -- my copy of "Heroes" was given the jacket off what seems to be a recording of orchestrated Bowie tunes.

Some of the inaccuracies were welcome. For example, a readily available best of cd of my favorite old punkers was given the cover to one of their early, rare singles. Seeing it brought me back.

Something like one-hundred cds didn't get their art returned. I'm told there's a time consuming way of adding it anyway, but I'll give it a pass. Having the art is pleasant, but not necessary.

I'm also excited that I finally found my copy of Wai Notes, which I've been looking for, but took it for lost.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh cover art... I have an enormous music collection and I hadn't reorganized or touched it in years. I used to constantly add to it but since college ended my pursuits have been elsewhere and I'm generally not happy with most of the stuff I hear today...

    Anyway, for the first time in a while I had a huge new music dump when I copied Mike CSI's collection and gave him a lot of mine. I use an excellent tool called Tag N Rename which goes out, downloads all the info you need, and then applies it to the files in whatever fashion you want... I opt for "track#. title - artist" that way the tracks are in order on anything you burn them to, and you already know who you're listening to so why have the artist first? This developed based on devices I've used...

    Anyway, I have this new mp3 player and it's got the ability to show the neeto album art so i say to myself "Ill just add it to the artists i listen to all the time"

    Did I mention I can sometimes be a little obsessive?

    TEN DAYS LATER, working roughly 3-5 hours a night in to the wee morning hours, I had retagged all my music with the album art, added genre info, corrected a lot of name formating, and reorganized the albums by year. I ended up repeating a lot of work too because all the lack of sleep made me forget that when my program didn't find the correct art, google and wikipedia would (first I remembered wikipedia... tagged all the ones I missed... then I remembered google, went back to find the ones I missed on the second run).

    The moral of the story is THE ART IS TOTALLY FREAKIN NECESSARY! Oh, and use google and wikipedia to find the missing ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that obsessiveness. Similar tasks used to keep me up at night.

    Out of 500 or so albums, I'm only missing about 100, so at some point down the road, I might update them all. Right now, pretty much all my free time has to go to working on the novel since it seems like my last shot at making it happen. If I'll permit myself obsessiveness, that's where I'll focus it.

    Which isn't to say I'm not tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsessive moments like that used to happen to me pretty frequently when it came to all things digital. Get a new phone, learn every function in a night... notice a neat trick in the OS, play with group policy all night... I used to chalk it all up to wasted time, but then I started working in IT and discovered that all those "wasted" hours actually put me far ahead of the curve and I ended up using a lot of that knowledge.

    Album art unfortunately... I can't see how that will ever be useful... sure is pretty tho when I bring up Winamp and see all the cool pictures! I've been all-digital for so long I had no idea what the covers to some of my favorite albums were.

    ReplyDelete